transvestite

Sunday, October 08, 2006

New country new start

OK last night was a blip, the first post wasn't meant to be like that. So consider this the first post. Well here I am, material ties to the UK severed, apart from a coupla mill in a few bank accounts (I wish) flat gone, cars gone, some stuff in storage. Flew in yesterday with a suitcase, a briefcase and a laptop. First thing I saw as I walked out at Geneva was a beautiful woman in an awesome cocktail dress waiting for someone from the plane.

Arrived at my friends amazing house and went for a beer in town, the girls are stunning, the contrast with where I was in the UK is crazy, UK:tatoos and ill fitting sports wear, CH:chiseled features and elegant casual wear. Even the girls smoking looked elegant.

Today I'm sitting here with a view of the alps (ok I would if I went upstairs) surfing for apartments. Why did I leave?

To put some space between my ex and her latest husband..
I don't want to live in Britainistan.
I'm fed up getting taxed out of existance.
I'm fed up of overcrowded late trains.
I want healthcare when I need it
I want to live where theres low crime and a pride in your surroundings
I don't want to live in the corrupt and undemocratic EU.
I want to live where the nice people are.

Let me expand on the last point, I went home to my home town in Scotland, what struck me was the hollow vacant stares of the people in their football shirts and baseball caps, always hovering on the edge of violence, the women in their late 50's straining the seams of their cheap sports trousers and dropping fag ash over the latest addition to their brood, the fat bald men with tatoos and shaven heads swaggering down the street, the boarded up shopfronts and the prevalence of 'poundstretcher' type shops

But I'll miss the friends I've made over the last couple of years and I'll miss going out in girls clothes.

----------------
Nil illegitimus carborundum
Don't let the bastards get you down.

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

> "the hollow vacant stares of the people in their football shirts and baseball caps, always hovering on the edge of violence"

There's something deeply poetic about that.

Having said that, can I just quickly point out the seeming contradiction between points 2 and 4 of your list?

10:57 AM  
Blogger Gillian said...

2 and 4?

"I don't want to live in Britainistan."

"I'm fed up of overcrowded late trains."

Huh?

11:46 AM  
Blogger Gillian said...

"The cost of living in Switzerland is higher than almost anywhere else in Europe hun"

got to disagree, well I would, thats why I moved, you pay a lot at point of use which is fine for me, also wages are higher, so working out say my rent and how many days work it takes to pay it works out much better.

and the taxes aren't stealth either.

12:40 PM  
Blogger Connie Cox said...

Hope it goes well.
And now you have made me want to leave too lol

6:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, if you do ever get the urge to go out in girls clothes again, do drop me a line. There's a really dodgy night-club just across the border in France where a group of us go out every now and then. We'd love to have you along!

Hope you enjoy Geneva!

Em

11:15 PM  
Blogger Joanna said...

Good luck with the move hon. Glad its all gone OK so far.

10:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So you leave ''Britainistan'' by becoming an immigrant yourself, how ironic. What a patriot you are, enjoy life in the money laundering capital of the world. While we fester in this supposed shithole. Least you will be nearer a land full of huns.

12:26 AM  
Blogger Gillian said...

You got it unimpressed! and I'll be learning the lingo and doing my best to fit in with their rules and regulations too. If the governments not patriotic why should I be?.

7:24 PM  
Blogger steph_angel said...

Sorry for the SPAM but couldn't really think of any easier way to do this :-/

As my domain has been nabbed, my blog link has changed to www.steph-angel.com/blog

Hopeless plugging I know... Sorry ;-)

10:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

People love themselves and those that agree with them. These same people can exist closely with their lovers and dish out vitriolic hatred to you, taking every opportunity to promote themselves by keeping you informed of their "success". I call these people "shits". Delete them from your life. If they come near tell them to "Fuck off". We are friends gillian and you know that so why leave us. Come back and ignore them.

7:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I lived in Switzerland for 11 years (Basel) and really loved it. There are a lot of misconceptions about living in Switzerland like that its expensive (as you say, the swiss are really well paid so relatively its very affordable for them), the people are cold (a friend is a friend for life), the weather is cold (check out Lugano or Locarno). I also recommend Montreaux and Vevey and of course Basel, Zurich and Neuchatel. Almost any town of any size has great art museums and the bigger cities have world class art, dance, music, etc. Swiss aesthethic is far more sophisticated than here. and as you noticed, people have style. With an Abo its very cheap to travel. The Swiss are very tolerant as long as you don't cause problems. Make the most of it!

Penny

7:02 PM  
Blogger Karol Cross said...

We'll miss you too Gillian!

As you know I used to live in Basel too (small world Penny!). And although I was working 60 hr+ weeks, I found the country and the people to be lovely. Oh yeah, and the wages! ;)

x

2:23 AM  
Blogger Gillian said...

Thanks everyone, really! even you unimpressed who I suspect I know, your turn of phrase gives you away.

10:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Let me expand on the last point, I went home to my home town in Scotland, what struck me was the hollow vacant stares of the people in their football shirts and baseball caps, always hovering on the edge of violence, the women in their late 50's straining the seams of their cheap sports trousers and dropping fag ash over the latest addition to their brood, the fat bald men with tatoos and shaven heads swaggering down the street, the boarded up shopfronts and the prevalence of 'poundstretcher' type shops"

Hi Gillian we don't know each other but I, like you, am a Scottish tranny now living in the south east (although I know you're now in Switzerland). I also come from a fairly run down part of industrial Scotland that fits's the profile you describe.

Where I'm getting to with this? Anyway, as one Scot to another please don't throw the baby out with the bath water. There are many positive aspects of Scottish culture that we Scots don't usually see that others do: humour, friendilness, egalitarianism, I could go on.

I know you probably see these as well but just as sometimes not all that glitters is gold the corollary can hold.

Take care in Switzerland.

Lucinda

6:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home