transvestite

Tuesday, June 20, 2006

10p for a cup of tea?

I had a meeting in Reading last night and was accosted by someone asking for 50p, his story was that he had just got out of hospital (shows wristband) and had run out of petrol and needed to fill up his petrol can (waves petrol can) to get home. Had he not been clearly drunk I might have believed him, but I gave him something for the clever use of props.

I never know whether to give anything to beggers or not, I read once a tale from a guy who fell on hard times and ended up begging and a drug addict, he was pulling himself together but said he would never give money to beggers because he believed he'd have sorted himself out sooner if people hadn't given him money.

When I was in Kathmandu there were signs in English asking not to give anything as it is encouraging an influx into the city, easier said than done when an old crone as old as your gran comes up to you clearly in need of food.

Usually when travelling I watch what the locals do, if they give, I give. One time in Cambodia I was scrambling around some temples and came across a girl sitting on the ground, pretty face but she had no feet, she was clearly asking for money so I offered her a note, when she reached up to take it I saw she had no hands. I asked the guide if he knew her story; back in the Khymer Rouge days she had been caught 'stealing' fruit that had fallen to the ground to feed her family. She was caught and they amputated both hands and both feet, she was five years old at the time.

and I think I've got it tough sometimes.

-----------------
Neutiquam erro.
I am not lost.

2 Comments:

Blogger Selina said...

I quite often get people calling with all sorts of hard luck stories. Usually, if they're asking for money for a cup of tea or something to eat I offer to make them a brew or a cheese sandwich. The genuine cases (and they are few) thank you for it.

5:47 PM  
Blogger Joanna said...

Or to quote Jimmy Carr..."A tramp asked me if I could spare some change for a cup of tea. I gave him a pound.... I never did get that cup of tea..."

6:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home