transvestite

Monday, October 29, 2007

Ayahuasca


My hands are grasping the sides of the round well as I'm racked by wave after wave of violent heaves. Looking down the gothic stonework of the well I can see 100 feet or so before it recedes into darkness, a demon flies up from the darkness, it's nose mere inches from mine and opens it's mouth wide to accept the thick black tar-like goo I am vomiting. All the while the rhythmic chanting of the shamans surrounds me as they recite their icaros to guide the ceremony.'Out!' I'm screaming, 'All of you out'.

This was last tuesday night and I was in a jungle in Peru in a vine-roofed ceremonial house with two shamans and their apprentices. An hour before I had drank ayahuasca which is either a shamanic medicine or a powerful hallucinogenic depending on who you ask. I'd come to this place to take part in three ayahuasca ceremonies for multiple reasons, chief amongst these was to let go of my ex and to find out about my Gillian side. I can't explain what happened without sounding mad, so before you say it - I know!

As the vomiting subsided I lay back and lost some time, the next thing I knew I was a woman lying on the ground having sex, backways, frontways, allways and loving it, lost in ecstasy. To me this meant what I didn't want; that I wanted to be a girl. I remembered the words of the shaman that anything that appeared had to be challenged in case they were bad spirits so I turned round and opened my eyes seeing a vague cowboy shaped figure 'do you serve my higher self?' I demanded, when he didn't answer I commanded him to go. Four times he returned and I found myself having sex again but eventually he went. Relief flowed; I didnt want to be a girl, it was just a bad spirit forcing these thoughts on me, I'm just a transvestite after all. My travelling companion screams for help and I sit up from my vison leaving my body prone, shouting to the Shaman that she needs help, he says he has her and I go back into my body.

I try to stand and make my way through the bodies on the floor, kind hands help me through the darkness to the toilets where I collapse glad that I made it this far without soiling myself, a not at all unusual ocurrence with ayahuasca. I lose myself totally, not knowing where or who I am. I see every person who ever did me a good turn no matter how small, I understand how much a simple kindness from a stranger meant to me and realise how much I would be appreciated if I took more time to offer kindness. I thank everyone I see, then I thank my ex for all the happiness she brought to my life when we were together. The shock of saying this snaps me back to the room for a few seconds then I am gone again forgiving her for the pain of leaving me, visiting her and her husband and wishing them both well.

A friend I had wronged appears, the ayahuasca strips away all ego, the situation with my friend was laid bare and the meanness of spirit that caused it was evident without any cushioning layer of justification. I apologise to him and know I have to repeat it in the real world.

I'm really losing it now, it's getting too intense and on the edge of calling for help the shaman is next to me talking into my vision and guiding me back. Still at the toilet someone appears next to me and offers some water, I gladly accept and he pours cold water over me gently and cradles my head, it feels like heaven, such tenderness from a complete stranger. He offers me his name and I remember mine, when I feel better I thank him profusely and tell him I'm ok and he should go help someone else, he gently kisses my cheek and leaves, thank you Dani.

After a long time I manage to summon up the strength to stand and pull up my trousers. As soon as I step into the room hands hold me to guide me back to my place on the floor where I collapse feeling the effects of the ayahuasca start to fade. The icaros continue and I feel fantastic as I come out of it to the rhythmic chanting, all around people are coming back from their journeys and the energy in the room is astounding. I stay awake till the ceremony ends and the oil lamps are re-lit then sink off to a desperately deep sleep.

That was the first ceremony.

7 Comments:

Blogger steph_angel said...

Woah...

I was just about to blog about writing a book in a month, but that all seems a little trivial after that epic story!!!

I'm still waiting for the Easter Island pics to appear ;-)

10:57 AM  
Blogger Gillian said...

Oh someday, someday steph, it's still on my list.

11:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fantastic story - waiting for the rest with baited breath. I have some books I must lend you sometime too...

11:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read about this ceremony a year or two back. Interesting......

I can't wait for the next installments.

10:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So they peddle acid and crystal meth in Peru? And there was me thinking it was simply dandruff country!

Seriously though, sounds spiritually mental yet cleansing.

3:24 AM  
Blogger realityphotography said...

how insanely exciting that must be!
coming to terms with what was...and peeking in the door of what is to come.

6:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent ! Genuinely good stuff.
Encore - we need more - encore !

8:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home