transvestite

Thursday, November 09, 2006

it's a sodding phone

bought this 2 days ago
DSC00017

selling it tomorrow. I like gadgetry as a rule but i have never 'got' mobile phones. From the start a phones been something to speak to people via, ocassionally to make crank calls with, sometimes to call my ex in the wee small hours with (that was a joke). Friends would say 'you like gadgets, look at my new phone it's got a camera/torch/compass/tin opener on it and I'd look at them like they had two heads 'it's a sodding phone' I'd say 'but I can set a custom ring tone, listen it plays Scotland the brave' and I'd shake my head. Have you ever noticed how people with 'funky' ringtones move so fast to shut it off when it rings? while 'I'm too sexy for my shirt' must have seemed hysterical at home, it's a bit embarassing when it goes off at work.

The whole mobile phone-as-gadget thing passed me by and I've had the same old Nokia for forever, I had to get a swiss contract so I thought 'sod it, lets see whats the fuss about' and bought the phone above, apparently it's a good one. Two days of squinting at a poxy little screen and the new sim cards gone in the Nokia. I just don't get it.

It's a sodding phone!!! meh!

6 Comments:

Blogger steph_angel said...

"Have you ever noticed how people with 'funky' ringtones move so fast to shut it off when it rings? while 'I'm too sexy for my shirt' must have seemed hysterical at home, it's a bit embarassing when it goes off at work."

My mobile went off once when I was teaching at a school that was being Ofsted inspected at the time... The Doctor Who theme tune was sent thundering around the classroom!!! The kids thought I was dead cool... Not sure what the Ofsted people thought :-/

12:39 AM  
Blogger Karol Cross said...

Should have got a nokia. Just like your old one but shiny!


As an aside, a few years ago I was at a "futures" presentation by a big US telecoms company. The next-big-thing that their head of R&D was showing off to lots of oohs and ahs was a PDA which with the help of their wizbang (only $1,000) software could receive calls! And "look, you can carry it with you and recieve calls wherever you are!" he exclaimed.

I didn't have the heart to point out that that particular market niche seemed pretty well sown up.

5:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha ha ! I've just got one of those phones and I'm the technophobe !! The camera is useful for work and bluetooth hands free works great with the new Sony car radio/CD thingy which is bluetooth too, The phone and radio talk to eachother, I feel a real gooseberry in my own car.

10:35 PM  
Blogger Connie Cox said...

Ok I am the reverse. My phone is more like a mad mobile communicator. Sure it can be used for voice calls, but I can also contact people via SMS, MMS, home e-mail, work e-mail (via direct push Exchange) and because it is broadband speed internet acces with a flat data rate I can use all my webmail services and all manner of messanging tools.
I love it!

1:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pardon Connie ? I'm so sorry, I don't recognise the language.

4:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just got a yummy new phone (MDA Vario) with web n walk. It's going to take ages to find my way round it. Camera, windows mobile 5 oh yes and I nearly forgot... a phone.

Like you, Gillian, I've made do with an ancient, simple Nokia.

Stop it, you'll send me all nostalgic. :)

7:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home