transvestite

Wednesday, July 25, 2007

The Emperor has no clothes

Days without cigarettes, errr lots but never mind that now
Days without wine, too many, probably why I'm ranting and spouting bile.

Or to be more accurate the Iphone has no functionality.

I am learning to loathe the Iphone and the clowns falling overthemselves to buy it. I'm praying that I'm missing something and it's a Really Great Thing(TM) and the multitudes falling over themselves to get one, even queuing all night to get one are not just depressingly stupid people I have to misfortune to share a planet with.

I guess to be fair it's not the phone I hate, it's hype and those that fall for it, I hate hype, I hate spin, I love honesty. Lets look at the phone.

Ok cool looking - yes, undoubtedly
Breakthrough touch screen technology - no, my phone came out in 2005 and it has a large touch screen, admitedly not multi touch, but I'm missing the point here, it's a sodding phone, multi touch is going to be the bees knees on things like Microsoft Surface but on a phone??? How many digits can you get on the screen?!?

Features - duh uh!! It's a connectivity dinosaur, 2.5G!!! My gardners phone has 2.5G! 2.5G is what my phone uses when it's can't get a wifi or 3G connection. I stop surfing when all I can get is 2.5G. My phone is not a great phone btw, but it's got a helluva lot more than this toy.

Music, yes had it for years and a helluva lot more formats than the Iphone
Video yes had it for years and a helluva lot more formats than the Iphone
Camera - yes , two of, one for video calls.

It doesn't even have a sim card!! You are going to be locked to a service provder and held hostage to their pricing model.

Grrr but it will probably be a big success because in this shallow, superficial world we live in the sheep we call consumers will graze on the polished marketing promotions and buy what they're told to buy and say 'thank you'. Of course you can't expect them to waste time actually reading a specification or thinking about what they are buying, they're much too busy being told what flat screen to buy.

Grrr the man in the street has a mind of his own, but one each would be better.

3 Comments:

Blogger Connie Cox said...

Yep no 3g sucks. And no MMS. And no own ringtones. And no changeable battery. Maybe in a few years the iPhone will be better.

My next phone will be the HTC Kaiser based Vario 3. The successor to my current Vario 2 which has most of the connectivity known to man. And boy is the HSDPA (3g on steroids) connection quick!

8:24 PM  
Blogger Gillian said...

What!! I didn't know that, it just gets worse, this thing is prehistoric, when I saw the big announcement I thought, "errrr it's a phone"

No Changeable battery?? this is madness.

8:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Spot on with your assessment of the man in the street!

I bought an original HTC Vario (t-mobile) and just when the Vario 2 had come out. The shop didn't have any 2s in stock. I thought what the heck - boy am I regretting it! Later decided I wanted to use it for laptop connectivity and realised I was landed with dial-up speed 'til April 2008! :((

9:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home